Dreamer’s World October 25, 2017 – Happiness Is Having Someone To Lean On

    I was struck by serendipity earlier today when I took the daily photo of Snoopy And The Gang. The statement on the card reads “Happiness Is Having Someone To Lean On.” I thought about that comment for just a minute and let it sink in. With all due respect to Bill Withers, the sentiment is universal. I cannot imagine my life without Hal and The Stooges around. I don’t even like considering that possibility because I don’t know if I could cope without them.
    No matter how strong we are as individuals, we all need someone special in our lives. Because I have been a solitary person at times in my life due to circumstances, I know this to be true. I always felt the absence of someone to lean on the most when I was happy and then realized that there was no one else to share that feeling with. Sometimes we find a fake person who doesn’t really care about us, and when that becomes obvious, the pain is unbearable.
    Solitude is something that we all need from time to time, but there is a vast difference between loneliness and solitude. Solitude can be entered and then left much more easily than loneliness. Loneliness is a toxic quicksand that will swallow us if we don’t get out. Having someone to lean on means that we are never alone even when we desire a little quiet time to ourselves.
    It can be the smallest thing that reminds us of the treasure of companionship. Last night I suggested to Hal that we get some pizza at a local place we had never tried. It advertised “New York” pizza, which isn’t my favorite, but we went and what had initially seemed like a bad idea to Hal turned into a great time. We sat and talked for an hour as we ate, about things that we usually don’t talk about at home. It was like we were on a date all over again. The change in routine did us both a world of good, and we will be going back there again sometime soon for dinner.

    That little example proves to me that I am very fortunate to have Hal in my life, and I know that he is someone I can lean on.

Comments

Popular Posts