Dreamer's World April 24, 2018 - Home

    “Home” is such an important word. It evokes an emotional response in all of us. For most, “home” means safety and comfort and protection from the outside world, for others, it might have negative connotations, and that is a shame. Regardless. “home” is a concept. It is an idea that means something primal to all of us.
    Moving is always a hard chore. It took us a week to get things ready, and then to make a move and begin to prepare the new place so that it feels like “home” for us. All of the material possessions are nice, but the real move is complete when we realize that we are now “home” in the new place. The sense of peace and calm that begins to flow is something that words cannot describe, but it is a tangible feeling. There is no set point in the moving process where the feeling will appear, but we are always happy when it does.
    For us, one of the most enjoyable things was how quickly The Stooges adjusted to the new apartment. This was not without incident, however, thanks to Stevie Nicks. As we were busy going in and out on Thursday, carrying newly collapsed boxes away to the dumpster, Stevie Nicks managed to get out the door without us realizing it. It wasn’t until some time later that we realized she was missing.
    At first, there was the frantic search through the apartment and all of the remaining boxes to see if she had hidden for a nap. When I went through the apartment shaking a box of cat treats, and she didn’t appear, I knew that something had happened. Hal (person) then repeated the process, and he realized the same thing. We tried not to panic, but we were worried. Hal and I decided to go outside and search around the building to see if we could find Stevie Nicks before it got dark.
    Luckily, Hal found her. She had gone down a flight of stairs and then panicked. Apparently, she heard someone and leaped onto a ledge that also had a sloping roof to protect people coming into the building from the elements. Stevie Nicks was on the ledge looking for help. Hal went out onto the roof ledge and brought her back to safety. It was at that moment, reunited with Stevie Nicks, that I believe the feeling of being “home” really started to sink in. We knew that we were still together, and that is one of the most important features that make a place a “home.”
    Another thing that caused me some inner stress was being so busy that I couldn’t find the time to write. There was so much going on, arranging the furniture, conducting a second purge of unwanted and unnecessary items, that I just couldn't focus on writing. My guitar practice has also been interrupted, and I won't be able to resume for a few more days. I need to get a small table that I can place my amps on to make things ready for practice that will give me more room to be comfortable. For now, the guitars remain in their cases, but I am looking forward to that changing.     I found the perfect table for the amps at IKEA. It is just a matter of getting down there to pick one up sometime this week.
    I am also in the process of trading in my two old iMacs for a used MacBook. I no longer feel the need to have another desktop around here, and if I can get a good MacBook trade, it will be worth the effort. This is another task that will hopefully be accomplished later this week.
    Tomorrow I make my trip in to see the client. I missed last week, but they already knew that I wasn’t going to be there. I will get caught up with them tomorrow morning, and then I can proceed with the rest of my week at work.
    If I feel like it after work, we will go to the grocery store, and I will also try to cook some chicken and noodles and veggies in the Instant Pot. This would mark the first real use of the kitchen since we moved in last week. I am looking forward to making dinners at home once again. More to follow as I get back to writing once again.

Comments

Popular Posts