Dreamer’s World December 21, 2017 – The Shortest Day

    Today marks the shortest day of the year. I hope that it will also be one of the quickest work days as well. I am feeling the pull of the upcoming weekend, as well as the holiday slowdown. I didn’t sleep well last night for some reason. My BG levels were fine, but my mind was racing at lightspeed, and I could not relax and sleep. I was up and awake from 0100-0400 this morning before I finally collapsed into bed and fell asleep at last.
    I started the day at work feeling like I had been hit by a truck, but I managed to get through the day. I don’t feel ill at all, so I am not worried about the flu. That is a good thing since several people I talk with on the phone for work have come down with it over the last week. In fact, my supervisor in California succumbed to the flu yesterday, so it must be nasty out there this season. She is supposed to fly to the East Coast to visit family over the next week, and possibly to finally meet with all 3 of us East Coast employees for the first time after working together for 5 years. I would love to meet her, but I suggested that she seriously consider remaining home because I don’t think that she will feel better by next week. I really wouldn’t recommend traveling by air across the country to her, but I am not a doctor.
    On the personal side, my first xmas gift to myself arrived late last night. UPS knocked on the door after 2200 to deliver it. I purchased a Chrome Mini Metro Messenger Bag to carry things around in, and I believe that I will be pleased with it. It is something that stands out from the crowd. Yes, that is a buckle like a car seatbelt.

    Now I will wait for the other gift that I got myself and Hal. I did order a pressure cooker for making more meals here at home to finally retire the crock pot. The pressure cooker is supposed to arrive by the end of the day tomorrow. I did cook the roast in the crockpot, and it came out well, but I can tell that the crockpot is nearing the end and I am looking forward to the new cooker because it will prepare food much faster. I already have a few recipes that I will try once the pressure cooker arrives.
    This afternoon I also gave Hal the first of his gifts. I took him for an acupuncture session. He enjoyed the one I got for him on his birthday back in August so much that I decided to do it again for him. At least we can come home and have more of the roast from yesterday for dinner.
    I am not expecting much for xmas this year. I am happy with my life, and I don’t really need that much other than replacements for things that are wearing out. I know that this year feels different because Hal and I will be here together and not travel to visit Nicola and the kids since they are in Scotland. I balance the fact of missing them with the knowledge that they are happy. Actually, I am happy that we had the 15 years spent together with them over the holidays. I wish that Donald was still with us. I miss him even after almost 3 years.
    The afternoon was quiet, as I had hoped it would be. I had a few minutes to get ready before taking Hal to the acupuncturist after work. While he was there, I wandered across the street to the grocery store and bought things to cook in the new pressure cooker after it arrives here sometime tomorrow. My shopping list consists of cream of mushroom soup, pasta sauce and pasts, and some chicken breasts. I will probably get some frozen veggies as well to throw into the pressure cooker. With luck, I can try the new pressure cooker out tomorrow evening, provided it arrives here on time.


Comments

Popular Posts