Dreamer's World February 09, 2018 - Random Acts Of Humanity And Kindness



    Yesterday after work, I went to see the Acupuncturist for a regular session. The Acupuncturist's office is in the same practice where my Chiropractor works. I pay the Acupuncturist out of pocket because very few insurance providers will cover these sessions. I haven't seen the Chiropractor for over two months due to the insurance company that my employer selected making the financial, not medical, decision that I did not require treatment. The logic was something like this: I had been seeing the Chiropractor regularly for nearly ten years to resolve ongoing neck and back issues. The previous insurance company had zero problems with this, but the new company decided that what was happening was "maintenance" and refused to cover it.
    I am not the smartest person in the world, but I know that "maintenance" is essential to keeping a system running smoothly. Failure to perform "maintenance" results in system degradation and premature system failure. Apparently, the insurance company was more than willing for my health to deteriorate so that they could make more money. This for-profit motive is representative of the problems that our health care system fails to address every single day. The decision is NOT made by a medical professional; it is made by bean-counters interested in making money for the company. The patient is nothing more than a resource for the insurance company to exploit for the financial benefit of the company. This practice is not just wrong; it is "evil."
    I have heard all of the RWNJ arguments against single-payer health care, yet here is an example a company, not a medical professional, making a decision that affects a patient. RWNJ claim that this will happen all the time under single-payer, yet there is no real evidence that I have ever seen to support that claim, but here I am suffering from that very issue under the "free market" system that the RWNJ lunatics prefer because they are invested financially in the healthcare industry.
    Now that has been said; I had my visit with the Acupuncturist and then she suggested that I talk to the Chiropractor about the problem with my coverage. I waited for a few minutes until he had the time to see me after he had finished with another patient. He said that the insurance company decided to no longer cover my treatments was "COMPLETE BULLSHIT." Obviously, I agreed with him on this. I was expecting to hear a lot of sympathies and offers to treat me at some discount off his regular office visit rate, but that would amount to around $100 per visit. I am not able to take on that expense at this time.
    I was utterly stunned when the Chiropractor offered to treat me every two weeks as before and only charge me the office visit copay of $25. His offer of kindness means that I can go back to receiving regular treatments as I had for years to alleviate the constant pain. I asked if this offer was going to be a hardship for him, and he assured me that it would not.
    It is this random act of humanity and kindness that made yesterday a wonderful day for me.


Comments

Popular Posts