Dreamer’s World December 29, 2017 – A Lesson Learned

    I am not the type of person who typically makes New Years Resolutions, and I am not claiming to start in 2018. However, I do want to try to make this blog more interesting in 2018. As with all things, it has to grow because it has become somewhat routine to me. My daily summaries are helpful ways to keep my sanity intact, but I know that I can do more.
    I believe that I can do better. One of the ways to achieve this is to start writing more on subjects rather than using this as a report on my days. I will probably resort to using daily prompts for inspiration on some days, but I really want to come up with my own unique ideas for each post. I write much more profusely when I have something interesting to say, and the daily summaries have lost their impact in my opinion.
    I suppose that some will see this as a resolution for the new year. Personally, I don’t, but that is all a matter of interpretation. The reasons I began this blog many years ago was to become a better writer, and the best way to do that is to expand my horizons. I remember hearing the late David Bowie say that “An artist never repeats the same thing, he does something different each time and this is what art is all about.” Sage words from an extremely learned man, and they serve as an inspiration to me when I read them.
    One of the things that I notice about the blog is that I combine too many ideas into a post far too often. I think that this can be corrected by focusing more on a particular topic with a short blog post rather than a daily summary. I am often long-winded when I write because I have always written in the narrative style. One of the things that happened to me in 2017 was my exposure to the concept of business writing as part of my job. I noticed very quickly that I had to be more precise in my efforts and stick to the meat and potatoes of the subject.
    My initial reaction was to write in two different styles, one for work and the other for the blog. Looking back at this year's blog, I can see that I actually made the blog more narrative than it needed to be as I compensated for this new approach to writing in my professional life. Rather than taking a dialectic approach to things, I need to be more holistic and realize that a combination of styles is best for the blog.

    One thing that I want from my life is to keep growing as a person. It is time to apply this to my blog as well. I might not have another post before 2018 rolls around, but if I do, I hope that it will mark the beginning of this new “chapter” (pardon the pun) in my blog.

Comments

Popular Posts