50 years with The Doctor

Since last Saturday marked the 50th anniversary of Dr. Who, I thought it was about time to mention it here. I have been a fan of the show since the 1970s. Being in the USA, that meant always hoping that the local PBS affiliate would pick up the program in some way or form. Dr. Who would be shown at 11pm or midnight on either Saturday or Sunday night. The Sunday nights were the worst with school the next morning. Remember that this was in the old times before VCRs were available. There were times that the show was not on at all, and it was at then that the local sci-fi fans would unite and assist in the annual pledge drives and offer matching funds to the station on the condition that the station show Dr. Who again.

One of the facts that we face when the show was actually on was that there were so few seasons and episodes available. I had been watching for several years, seeing Tom Baker only. When an episode was finally shown with Jon Pertwee didn't know what to think! We were so naive that we had no idea about the concept of regeneration! It took forever to figure out the chronology of the series, and which Doctor came in what order. It was more than 10 years after I started watching before I had ever heard of Peter Davidson to know that he replaced Tom Baker.

I am glad that I have had the pleasure of being a Whovian. It does not define my life, but it does constitute a part of me, and for that I am grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts