Dreamer's World January 11, 2018 - Making Changes


    As 2018 begins I have begun making some changes that should help to improve my life. I know that I can do things better, and the time to implement the necessary changes is always the present. Like everyone, I am guilty of putting things off because they are too inconvenient, or I was too busy. The excuses are endless and so easy to fall back on when we need them. They are crutches that support our bad decisions or lack of action.
    Sometimes the changes are straightforward. There is one that I have begun changing, and that is the amount of money spent on eating out. As much as I love to cook, I found myself in the kitchen less often. I took a chance and purchased one of the "Instant Pot" electric pressure cookers for xmas, and I can already tell that it is going to save money for us. It makes cooking so easy and quick that I have already prepared multiple meals that took far less time than if I had made them the old way. There is also less cleanup required after using the instant pot. I just wash out the inner pot by hand and let it dry and then wipe down the inner lid.
    I noticed a substantial difference in the bank balance at the end of the last pay period, and I know that is due to making meals here at home. Even the increased cost of buying groceries to account for cooking still saves money for us. I consider the instant pot a very wise investment, and Hal likes the results as well. I am spending more time in the kitchen cooking and less money at restaurants, so this is an excellent choice that I made.
    It is time to re-evaluate other areas to see what changes I can make to improve things. I will have to take some time to determine the best course of action, but it will be worth it in the long run. One thing that will be relatively easy is to stop worrying about upgrading my tech toys. What I have is perfectly functional, and if it finally fails, I can then consider an upgrade. For pieces of technology where I have multiple devices, I need to use them until they fail before even considering a change, no matter how intense the temptation might be.
    Another change is to get out of the ruts I find myself in from time to time around here. I need to get to bed earlier and do more for myself after work. Motivation always gets more natural when the days are longer, so winter is usually a time I struggle with this issue. For right now, getting more sleep is the primary way to feel better.

Comments

Popular Posts