Dreamer’s World August 11, 2017 – Keeping A Secret

    Keeping a secret is hard to do, but worth the effort. I can keep a secret very easily, but it is something that I had to learn to do through the years. Keeping a secret means that I am trustworthy to those who share their secrets with me, and I am proud to do so. Keeping a secret also means that I have my secrets and I don’t tell them to anyone some of the time.
    For more than two months, I had a secret and kept it from everyone, including Hal. The reason was simple; I wanted to surprise Hal for his upcoming birthday. Since Hal will be working on his birthday, I made plans to have his presents and his surprise gift waiting for him yesterday. Thanks to the convenience of Amazon, getting his gifts here was not a problem. They arrived yesterday and after I finished work I gave them to him. The look on his face was reward enough, but there was one last surprise for him.
    I told Hal that I was taking him to dinner. I said we would leave at 1800 for dinner. I didn’t take him to the restaurant. Instead, I drove to the acupuncturist's office, saying that I had to settle a bill with the insurance copay. When we got there, Hal wanted to wait in the car. I finally told him that things might take a while and that he should come inside with me. I had to force him to leave the car, but he still didn’t know what was going on.
    Once we were inside the office, I told the staff that “I have him here now.” I revealed my secret. I saw Hal silently mouth a comment to me as he realized that he was going to have an acupuncture session for the very first time. The secret that I had been keeping from him for nearly two months. After nearly 18 years together, I can read Hal very well, and the expression told me that I had successfully kept my secret from him.
    Hal enjoyed the acupuncture session. Perhaps he will go back again. After we had left the office, he told me how I had fooled him by keeping the secret. He was totally surprised, and that was the point. I enjoy keeping a secret until the time is right to reveal it.
    

Comments

Popular Posts