Dreamer's World May 15, 2018 - No Surrender

    Since I deliberately removed myself from most social media, I find my mind is at peace. I still maintain a presence on Google + but that is because the people there have always been more real and interactive, rather than bots screaming for attention. Occasionally, I do run across a person or bot on there that can irritate me, but it is so easy just to block them and never say a word. I just keep enjoying my day and never look back.
    The response I get from people when they learn that I left facebook and twitter behind is shock. When they ask why I decided to leave, I point out that they didn’t notice for over a month and then say nothing else.      As is the case with most people, their attention is drawn to the easiest and most flashy things that can occupy their time.
    FB and Twitter offer people the cookie-cutter approach to social interaction. No thought is required, just start posting away and liking this and forwarding that, and somehow at the end, you are supposed to be a better person??? I was guilty of that myself. I found it so easy to hide behind an avatar and just follow the other lemmings over the cliff.
    If nothing else, FB and Twitter taught me an old lesson once again. I desire real interaction with real people. I don’t like cliques or trends. I cannot be happy as a member of the herd all of the time.
    I am the person in a crowd who looks in the opposite direction from everyone else. I am the person who takes the path less traveled when I come to a fork in the road. I prefer to hike along a trail in the woods over speeding down a paved highway.
    I prefer silence over the mindless chatter. I find happiness in music rather than TV. I would rather read than listen to a conversation about the latest fads or celebrities.
    I don’t feel I am better than other people, I just realize and embrace the differences that make me unique. I feel that everyone should take the path that diverges from the crowd, but I don’t demand that from others. Freedom includes the freedom to surrender to the mob, but I threw my white flag away years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts