Dreamer's World July 30, 2018 - Reconstructing

Dreamer's World July 30, 2018 - Reconstructing
    Few things can be as time-consuming as setting up a new computer for the job. I received a replacement laptop late last week, and this morning I am starting the process of setting everything up on the new machine. Setting up the new device will take most, if not all, of the morning. I will do my regular work as time permits, but there will be numerous computer restarts that will slow me down. Since there is no alternative to the situation, I will make the best of things.
    Taking time to analyze and reconstruct our lives is essential. We all need to sit back and take stock of things from time to time. It gives us a sense of perspective and purpose. It allows us to make important decisions about things that are crucial to us. I call this process reflecting.
    Reflecting is never easy, and sometimes it can be very unpleasant. Reflecting makes us prioritize things according to the here and now, and often we realize that our priorities have changed. Long-held beliefs can be less relevant to us at present, where other things have become more important to us.
    The weekend vanished without a trace. There never seems to be enough time to enjoy myself since my weekends center on getting Hal to and from his job. This schedule limits my ability to make other plans and makes me into a homebody most of the time. Considering the alternative of not having Hal in my life, it is a sacrifice I make without too much complaining. The routine has been in place for so long that I probably wouldn't know what to do with the extra time if I had it.
    Mondays are filled with a sense of dread because I also have to take Hal to and from his job this evening. I know that I won't get as much sleep as I would like to this evening, but again, this is a part of the routine that I endure. I work extra hours on Monday, so when I finish, I can immediately take Hal to his job and then come home for a few hours and try to relax and do something for myself. Typically, I use the time to practice guitar and piano until I hear that Hal is leaving work early, or I have to pick him up at the regular time.
    I am enjoying the new digital piano. I worked my way through a few songs this weekend. I am happy with my progress, and now I have to turn my efforts back to the guitar. Friends asked me why I am doing this, and I tell them that the discipline and the learning help keep my mind active and focused. I cannot sit in front of the TV all evening and feel good about myself. I need to be engaged mentally as well as physically.
    I am happier since I left social media a few months ago. I feel better and more relaxed. The never-ending noise of Twitter and FaceBook are distant memories. The constant sound of the latest news goes on without my participation every single minute of the day. I can look at and analyze things at my leisure. I no longer feel that I have to be so deeply involved that my life goes on around me.
    As I worked on getting the new laptop updated, I thought about these things and realized that they are essential.  I needed the time to reflect and acknowledge the world around me.


Tags: Life, Post, Reflection
July 30, 2018 at 08:17AM
Open in Evernote

Comments

Popular Posts