Dreamer's World July 31, 2018 - Insomnia and Pixelbooks

Dreamer's World July 31, 2018 - Insomnia and Pixelbooks
     Insomnia has struck again for the first time in several months. Insomnia is never a welcome visitor in my life, but I seem to have no control over it. Since I am awake, I decided to write for a while to pass the time. I might be writing until my alarm goes off at 0600, sometimes insomnia does things like this to me.
     When I cannot sleep, my mind fills with strange ideas. I find myself thinking about things that I usually avoid. Tonight, the subject is Chromebooks. I have been an avid fan of Chromebooks for years since they first debuted. I have owned several, and they have become more sophisticated as the years pass.  Now, Google has released the Pixelbook and begun a marketing campaign in support of it. This marketing campaign is unusual for Google because the original Pixelbook from several years ago was a flop. Whatever the technical specs were, the world wasn't ready for a high-end Chromebook with a price tag that rivaled Apple.
     Times have changed, and Chromebooks have advanced tremendously. The OS is stable, and now there is the ability to interact with apps made for Android devices to increase the appeal of Chromebooks.  The addition of the Google Assistant to the Pixelbook is a great feature.  Google is onto something good here, and I am interested. Unfortunately, I am not so impressed that I can justify the cost of a Pixelbook right now. I have to wait for a while before I can even consider purchasing one of those. If I had the extra money, I would be fighting off the urge to buy one right now.
     Technology is always improving. There will be another Pixelbook in the future, and it will be a better version of the one that is making waves right now. The thing for me to do is wait, and make the purchase when I have the funds and be happy with the version available at that time.
Until then, I am happy with the Chromebooks that I already have. They all are in excellent condition and do everything that I need. From a purely functional point of view, there is no reason for me to want a new Pixelbook. I am just ranting through the Insomnia late at night.


Tags: Life, Post, Insomnia, Writing, Technology, Google, Pixelbook, Chromebook
July 31, 2018 at 03:46AM
Open in Evernote

Comments

Popular Posts