Dreamer's World March 04, 2018 - Home

    Snoopy and The Gang have nailed the topic for today. I wanted to write about “Home.” More specifically, “Happiness is Wherever You Call Home.” Truer words have never been spoken. “Home” is a state of mind more than just a place on a map.
    I have lived all over the world. I have never been without a “Home.” I make the best of wherever I happen to be for as long as I am there. Some of those places mean more to me than others, that is human nature, but each has its own unique characteristics and memories for me. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without each of those places on the map because each one defines a different type of “Home” to me.
    I suppose that this topic is so meaningful today because Hal and I will be moving once again next month. This will mark the 9th time that we have moved in 18 years together. Interestingly, we lived in one place for 9 of those years, but before and since then has been a series of adventures for us. Ever since I met Hal in 2000, I cannot imagine “Home” without him. Not being together would be terrible. We have built a life together, and we work on improving it every day. The physical location hasn’t mattered that much to us, it is the fact that we are together that defines “Home” for us.
    Before I met Hal, I had lived un many places, but as much as those places were “Home” they lacked something special. I was transitory due to being in the Navy and single. I was available to be sent to places, and I went. Often “Home” was a tiny space on a ship and nothing more. Those times taught me to keep things simple and not become too attached to things because there wasn’t room for many. That lesson is still with me years later. When it comes time for Hal and me to move next month, I will have no problem deciding on what to take and what to leave behind.
    As I sit here writing, I look around the apartment full of things that Hal and I have purchased together. Hal loves these things and always wants to keep them. I could easily move with nothing more than clothes, computer, guitars and some cooking utensils and be perfectly happy. And yet we are still together, and that is amazing. I suppose that I never learned to form attachments to things in general unless they are used every day. If there is anything that I have too many of, it is backpacks and messenger bags, but when I think about it, it makes sense because those can be used to gather the important belongings I mentioned earlier and then go on my way.
    Because life together is all about compromise, I have gotten used to things being around me. It is comforting to some degree, but not to the point where I agonize over them when we move. The most important thing is Hal, along with The Stooges. I will not go anywhere without them.

Comments

Popular Posts