Dreamer's World March 20, 2018 - Leaving Facebook Behind

    I wrote recently about making big decisions. Yesterday I made one, and I feel great about it. I decided that it was time for me to leave Facebook. I had been thinking about this for a while, and I realized that, since it was on my mind, that I needed to act.
    I realized that the time had come to disentangle myself from the daily routine of continually checking FB for updates and items of interest. FB had never provided me with a real means of staying in touch with family or friends, so that wasn't an issue for me.
    I have left FaceBook once before, but I believe that it will be the last. I had been off FB for a year or more when a close friend passed away. According to his family, FB was the best way to stay in touch with them on a regular basis. Lots of families seem to have replaced the telephone with FB, and so I created a new account and dove back into the murkiness that is FB. That was nearly three years ago, and of course, after the initial flurry of activity from those that wanted to stay in touch, things settled into a routine of hearing from them a few times a year with nothing in between.
    The contrast between FB and Google Plus is amazing. I can still interact with people through G+. I am not claiming any superiority of one over the other; I just prefer G+. Most people have never tried it, or they found that it wasn't as demanding as FB and that left them feeling empty. FB screams for our attention, G+ allows us to interact when we feel like it without the constant pressure to just do or say something. I will be keeping my G+ account active. I find that it does give me pleasure, and I also have people who genuinely interact. These facts make G+ worthwhile, in my opinion.
    I cannot judge those who remain loyal to FB. FB suits their needs, and I respect that. I just knew that I had to leave for my peace of mind.

Comments

Popular Posts