Dreamer's World March 25, 2018 - Food For Thought


    I am still processing the #MarchForOurLives event that happened yesterday. I am affected more than I realized at the time by what I saw and heard, and it has me thinking about things. The things on my mind are deep and complex. I never thought I would be facing them today.
    The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made his famous speech in Washington DC on August 28, 1963. I wasn't born yet, but as a child, I learned about the importance of that day and that speech and what it meant to America and the world. It was a milestone in history, and the effects still resonate today.
    I heard multiple mentions of Dr. King and his message yesterday. I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see Yolanda Renee King, the granddaughter of Dr. King appear and speak at the rally yesterday. It is clear that the message Dr. King left to us is still potent and applicable to each generation. We still have a long way to go, and we can never rest until the journey is complete.
    The #MarchForOurLives event yesterday has the potential to be a seminal event in this nation's history in the same way that Dr. King's speech was. There were differences, Dr. King was already well-known before his speech, the Parkland students and those they invited to share the stage with them aren't public figures....yet. I saw several of the young adults that will be formidable leaders in whatever they choose as their career path.
    Dr. King spoke for almost 20 minutes. I don't believe any of the speakers yesterday approached that length with their speeches. I don't feel this is a significant factor because the total length of the combined speeches yesterday was far more than Dr. King's speech.
    I have the suspicion that I witnessed something extraordinary yesterday.  I believe yesterday was a seminal moment in our history.  I am not ready to elevate yesterday to the level of Dr. King, but I am not willing to write it off as insignificant either. Time will tell how future generations will compare the two events.

Comments

Popular Posts