Dreamer’s World February 28 2016 - Wrapping Up The Weekend







Sunday evening has arrived and I am already longing for next weekend. This one was far too short, especially today with beautiful clear skies and temperatures near 70 degrees. With some luck, the nice weather will last a few more days even though Winter still has 3 full weeks remaining. I got out and did some walking today rather than simply walking around the building and it felt wonderful being in the sunshine. Today reminded me of California weather rather than Virginia.
There are other things to talk about. My high school class lost another member over the weekend. It seems that so many of them are already gone and the 35 year reunion isn’t until next year. I wonder how much of this has to do with so many people remaining in my hometown and going into, to be blunt, dead-end jobs in order to stay near their families and start families of their own. I never felt that level of attachment to my hometown to be honest. My objective was to get away and become something in this world. I cannot say that I have fulfilled all of my dreams, but I am happy and moderately successful and I know that I made the right choice.
Of course, small towns tend to keep people around when there are things like family businesses and medical and legal practices that always seem to migrate from parent to child because that is the way things have always been. I didn’t have that reason to stay.
None of this diminishes the tragedy of hearing that another classmate is no longer with us. We are too young to be dying off. I want to live as ling as I can without being an invalid or a vegetable, but I have a hard time figuring out why so many of the friends I had are dying so young.
Since there is nothing that I can do about any of that, I tend to give it some thought and then move on to other things. People tend to see me as cold an uncaring for this reason, I think it shows ability to process information and then continue onwards because that is why we are all here. We cannot simply stop when tragedy occurs, we have to keep moving.
When I start work tomorrow, I will be doing some file maintenance on my work laptop because i am FINALLY going to get my upgrade from the company. They are moving me to the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and this will means virtually no storage space for documents on my new machine. I will be editing things and moving important items to the corporate cloud storage that is being provided. It does seem a bit daunting of a challenge at first, but it is also a chance to learn new ways of taking care of business.
The Surface Pro 4 is supposed to arrive by the end of the day on Wednesday, so I want to be all set by then. I will be keeping my old laptop for 5 weeks as a precaution per company policy, but I hope that there are no major problems.

Comments

Popular Posts