As I sit here on a sunny, but cold Wednesday afternoon, I am thinking about the weather forecast for the DC region. We are looking at some potentially nasty weather arriving here tomorrow evening at the latest.
Local Weather Alert
Winter Storm Watch for Arlington/falls Church/alexandria, VA
From 7:00 PM EST, Wed., Feb 12, 2014 until 10:00 PM EST, Thu., Feb 13, 2014
Other affected areas:
District of Columbia, DC; Northern Baltimore, MD; Harford, MD; Montgomery, MD; Howard, MD; Southern Baltimore, MD; Prince Georges, MD; Anne Arundel, MD; Charles, MD; St. Marys, MD; Calvert, MD; Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park, VA; Fairfax, VA; Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria, VA; Stafford, VA; Spotsylvania, VA; King George, VA
Issued by The National Weather Service Baltimore/Washington, MD
Tue, Feb 11, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...
* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW AND SLEET
* ACCUMULATIONS... THE POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET.
* TIMING... SNOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE IN FROM THE SOUTH WEDNESDAY EVENING. SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET AND RAIN LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. THE SNOW COULD BE HEAVY AT TIMES WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY.
* TEMPERATURES... IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S WEDNESDAY NIGHT... SLOWLY RISING INTO THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 30S THURSDAY AFTERNOON.
* WINDS... BECOMING NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* IMPACTS... ROADS MAY BECOME SNOW AND SLEET COVERED AND SLIPPERY. TRAVEL MAY BE DANGEROUS WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. HEAVY WET SNOW COULD LEAD TO SOME POWER OUTAGES.
A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
I wish that Winter would just end already! I am tired of the cold that has been so unusually severe this winter after years of very mild temperatures. The rule around the DC area is once we get past President's Day Weekend that things will improve. It also seems that we will get at least one big storm right around that time as well and this year seems to be no exception.
There are just over 5 weeks left until Spring officially arrives. I cannot wait that long, at least that is how I feel right now thinking about the prospects for more bad weather by tomorrow evening and into Thursday.