1 week until Dr. Who xmas special and the new Doctor

1 week from tonight, I will be glued to the couch watching the Dr. Who Xmas special. I am sad to see Matt Smith leaving the role, but I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor. I have enjoyed Matt Smith as he grew into the role, and I am a fan of his interpretation of the part. He brought a Patrick Troughton type of comedic presence to the Doctor. I am not certain if the show's producers will want to move the character in a different direction under Peter Capaldi, that remains to be seen. I have to admit that the secrets have been extremely well-guarded by those in the know, and I have no real idea what to expect from Peter Capaldi.

To all the Whovians in the UK, you have seen much more of Peter Capaldi that those of us here in the USA. Perhaps that will give some insight, perhaps not. Watching a new actor take on the role of the Doctor. The initial episodes with a new actor can sometimes seem rather clumsy, almost as if the writers are trying to figure things out as they go along. Hopefully, Peter Capaldi will not be burdened down with co-stars as Matt Smith was in the beginning in order to allow him to grow into the role on his own. I keep wondering what direction the character will take. I can easily see a more somber, authoritative type of Doctor due to Peter Capaldi's age when compared to the actors (Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith) who preceded him, but I do hope that the change in style, if there is one will not be as abrupt as the classic Colin Baker character was in his first few episodes.

Comments

Popular Posts