Putting things in perspective

As the holiday season crashes on and dwarfs everything else in its path, I am keeping a very close eye on my finances. I have made far too much progress over the last few years to let things fall apart now.

I generally am rather ambivalent towards the holiday season. I see it as a mad rush of consumerism with very little spiritual value left. I feel that if someone rates my friendship based upon what I give them as a symbol of that friendship at a particular point of the year, then that person isn't a real friend at all. It is the simplest thing that makes a difference to me. A card or a call, spending time together with someone is worth more than any gift.

Having said that, I will spend a little money in order to replace things which have worn out to the point that they no longer function as designed, and in this regard I do tend to go for the latest and greatest with the hope that the new items will last at least as long as the ones that they are replacing. I will hunt for bargains, but not to the degree that I participate in Black Friday stampedes, that isn't my style at all.

I am keeping a close eye on the money that I do spend at this time of the year. I want to maintain my progress towards the goal of getting out of debt as soon as possible. I am very close to achieving another milestone on that plan by next summer, and I refuse to let myself be distracted now. I still have a ways to go to reach my goal, but at least I can see it getting closer in the distance rather than being over the horizon. 

Comments

Popular Posts