Dreamer’s World June 27 2015



Yesterday was one of the best days that I can remember.
The great day actually started on Thursday night when an old friend contacted me via FaceBook. We started texting and ended up talking on the phone for an hour. I have known Regina since kindergarten, but after I left my hometown after high school, we had lost track of each other as so often happens. When we spoke. it was as if we had never been apart. This is the first person that has reached out from my hometown, and I think that this is one of the best things to ever happen to me. Regina, I thank you from the bottom of my heart :)
I had taken the day off work in order to visit friends. Nicola is the widow of my friend Donald, who was killed in an accident last November. Hal and I have always been close to them, they opened their home and hearts to Hal when we moved to the DC area back in 2002. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we go to their home to celebrate with them. Donald left behind 2 wonderful children, Brianna and Connor, and Hal and I think the world of both of them.
We have gone through the tough times with them, especially since last November. Nicola has often stated that most of the friends who were there to support her and the kids immediately after the tragedy have drifted away, but Hal and I have always been there for them. That sentiment means so much to both Hal and I. And so, Friday was a day that I had taken off from work in order to go with Hal and visit everyone. Since Nicola's mother was visiting from Scotland, it had all the makings of a perfect day.
I had been following the news from the Supreme Court regarding same-sex marriage via the Internet, and was wondering if a decision would be made Friday. Of course, it turns out that it was. Hal and I heard the news before we left on our trip to Glen Burnie. I honestly cried when I heard the news because at last we are considered equal under the law, at least as far as marriage is concerned. There are still other hurdles to overcome overcome, but this decision should make those more manageable.
After a short celebration, Hal and I headed to Glen Burnie. Nicola, her mom, and Connor were the first to greet us with congratulations, and that truly meant the world to us. Sadly, Brianna was away, but she is 18 years old, and has a life of her own to lead. Her absence saddened us, but did not upset us because we know that she will loves us. The afternoon was spent catching up on everyone's lives, and discussing plans for our next get-together. We then headed to dinner at a local restaurant called The Little India Cafe in Glen Burnie. I can't remember a better meal nor better company to share it with.
Hal and I left Glen Burnie early in the evening since Nicola and family were traveling Saturday to New Jersey to spend the day with Don's parents, and Hal has to work today as well.
I honestly am glad that Hal and I were able to spend that very special day with some of our closest friends. It made a wonderful day that much more special.
As for today, it is dark and rainy here with thunderstorms predicted through the evening. I ran my errands early and came home to write. I suspect that we will stay in this evening after such a full and exciting day yesterday. I hope that there are many more such days in store for us all.

Comments

Popular Posts