Dreamer’s World January 5 2016 - The Police - Message In A Bottle

I write for the most basic of reasons. I want to share my experiences with others. It is a strange affliction that some of us suffer from. It comes from a variety of causes.
I think that one of the earliest memories I have is of my Dad fiddling with his old HAM radio. He talked to people all over the world, he kept notes on who he spoke to and I know that he had many friends that he never met. That didn’t lessen his enthusiasm for the task. He kept at it until he was too ill to continue.
I wasn’t interested at the time to continue his hobby. I didn’t want to go through all of the hassle to get a new HAM radio license, and the set eventually was sold to someone after Dad died. Perhaps it was one of his friends from the radio, I honestly don’t know.
As I grew up, I became enchanted with the idea of traveling and meeting people from all over the world. I went away to college (University of Kentucky) and graduated in 1987. I had my first real taste of life outside of the small town where I grew up and I wanted more. Financially, I wasn’t able to do much more than to join the Navy. I did so, and I saw parts of the world that the people I grew up with could only dream about. I enjoyed every place that I went to or was stationed for the 10 years that I served in the Navy.
When my Mom’s health deteriorated, I left the Navy because I was due to be stationed overseas and I knew that she wouldn’t last for that 3 year stint. Sadly, I was right. She passed away a few days short of her 76th birthday in early February 2001. By that time I had come to terms with my life and who I was. I had nearly married twice, but neither worked out. I was very lucky that things fell apart prior to the weddings because that would have made things really messy as anyone who has gone through a divorce can attest to.
I met Hal (person) in early 2000. Soon I realized that this was the person I was meant to be with. I had no fear of my choice and now almost 16 years to the day later, we are still together. Life has been good to both of us since that day. We are happy and content with our life together. I think that for too many people, they forget to be happy as they make their way through life.
Anyway, I began blogging and I have met people from all over the world who want nothing more than to share experiences and stories just like my Dad did back in the day with his old HAM radio. Whenever I think back I remember one of my favorite songs and it makes me smile. I hope you enjoy it.

Comments

Popular Posts