Dreamer's World March 31 2015 - Looking Forward To Cooking

Another month has passed. A busy day awaits me when I get home from work this afternoon. I have some more cooking to do this evening. Yesterday, Hal and I went to Costco and I bought a nice pair of steaks. I always buy the larger steaks so I can cut them up and make multiple meals for both of us. I see no reason to prepare the steaks as if we were eating out, it is simply too much food to eat. That is why I choose to cook at home more often now as I want to lose some weight as summer approaches.
I always marinate things overnight before cooking them, and the steaks are no exception. Since I always thoroughly cook any meat, pork, or poultry the marinating is essential to keeping them from drying out as much as possible,
Since I have so many smaller steaks created from the original two large ones, it will be a major event to cook all of these this evening, but I will make it through. I always cook at around 350 degrees so I can monitor how evenly things are progressing. I turn the meat every 10 minutes and after they have the initial outer firmness, I will baste them and add some pepper and sea salt to each side. After that, it is just a matter of letting them cook, while turning them every 10 minutes until they are done.
Tonight I predict that I will have at least 2 full racks to cook. This means extra time in the kitchen, but I don’t mind it because I love to take the time to do things the right way when I cook. I will use some of that time to make the side items that are necessary to complete the meal as well. When everything is finally done, there will be enough to make lunches and dinners for the rest of the week without any trouble.
The only difference tonight is that I am trying a new marinate, based on chipotle and lime for the flavor. I am sure that the steaks will turn out delicious. While some friends have expressed surprise at how much Hal and I are willing to spend at the store, we always point out that the amount will be spread out over multiple days, as opposed to spending a tremendous amount of money on just one night out at a restaurant.
Cooking is something that I am rather good at, at least I think so and so does Hal. This is all that matters to me in the long run anyway. When we do have friends over, they are always very complimentary. I hope that is more than just manners, of course, but at least no one has called 911 after eating a meal that I prepared :)

Comments

Popular Posts