Dreamer's World March 25 2015 - Beyond The Yellow Brick Road

No matter where we go throughout our lives, we are always comforted with the old saying “There’s no place like home”. As I have grown up and gotten older, that has changed. My parents are both dead, and I have no immediate family remaining where I grew up. I am comfortable with my life now.
I suppose that all of this goes back to my parents, as it should. They encouraged me to go out into the world and to experience new places and different people and cultures, none of which were available where I grew up. Olive Garden is not authentic Italian, Taco Bell is not authentic Mexican, etc. My parents taught me to be self-reliant and to always look ahead rather than look back. I suppose this was a result of being an only child, knowing that once they were gone that there would be no true support net from family. Some might find this prospect depressing, but I was taught to view it as a challenge. I think that I have done well.
I do not dislike where I grew up. It made me who I am today. It gave me a set of life stories and experiences that i could look back on to determine their validity as I move through this life. I have kept most of what I brought with me from my hometown, I have discarded those things that could not stand up to the light of reason and logic. Like everyone else, I grew up. I don’t feel a pull to go back to my hometown anymore. I try to stay in touch with some relatives, but they are cousins who all have their own full and rewarding lives to live.
I am on my own, well with my partner, and I am happy with things. There isn’t much more that we can realistically expect from life without lots of hard work. I have put that in through the years as well, and it adds to the satisfaction that I feel when I think of myself now. Oh, I’ve finally decided my future lies beyond the yellow brick road :) I have my brains, I have my heart, and I have my Courage. I have slain the witches and fought off the flying monkeys and am doing fine :)

Comments

Popular Posts