Dreamer's World July 29 2015


Just before 0300 and I am awake. Insomnia isn’t to blame for this tonight, my blood glucose has dropped to 50 and that always makes me wake up when it happens. I will be awake for a little while, sucking on some glucose tablets until the BG level returns to normal, and fighting the physical roller coaster that this condition leaves me with at times like this.

Nervous and itchy are the closest terms I can find when trying to describe how low BG makes me feel. For every diabetic, the symptoms are personal and somewhat unique. The key is that my body produces a type of reaction that alerts me when something is wrong and I have learned that I must respond as quickly as possible in order to avoid trouble.

Wednesday is my early day at work. To say that I wish this had not happened now would be an understatement. I wish that it never happened at all, but I must deal with the here and now, and my work schedule isn’t consulted by my body in advance. Once I am feeling comfortable, I will go back to bed and try to sleep until 0600 rather than 0800. I have to get ready and go to meet with the client this morning unless I am simply physically unable to attend and I don’t want things to get to that point.

The only saving grace to a time like this is the ability to power up the Chromebook and start writing. Even in the loneliest, most depressing times, I can write. I didn’t want to wake Hal up because of this low BG episode, it happens from time to time. The Stooges are all asleep, I am kind of surprised that Stevie Nicks has not come to sit with me by now, but I will let her sleep wherever she is rather than disturb her as well.

I have gone through this before, and I will be fine in jut a little while. Patience is the key here because if I panic and try to eat just to increase my BG, I will end up with it going too high and I don’t want that. Tonight’s episode isn’t nearly the worst that I have had, far from it. Experience has taught me how to cope with this condition, and it will get me through this now.

I managed about 1 hour of sleep before the alarm woke me. The day was busy, but not eventful. It was also HOT as I made my way to and from the meeting with the client this morning. By the time I got home. the first thing I did was to jump in the shower and clean myself off before resuming my workday. Since it was my early day, I was off at 1530. After spending some time with Hal and the Stooges, I finally gave up and slept for 2 hours early this evening. I am hoping that this won’t mess up my sleep later tonight. Tomorrow is Thursday, and that means we are one day closer to the weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts